Guidance and support for pet parents through the most difficult times
Grief for a beloved pet can be as significant as grieving the death of a human loved one. Compassionate Veterinary Hospice doctors and nurses are here to help support you and your pet with expert COMPASS consultations.
Our multi-disciplinary approach addresses physical, social, and psychological needs during your pet’s end-of-life, to help you make the best choices for your pet and your family with peace-of-mind. We work with your referring veterinarian to provide a collaborative and balanced approach to hospice and palliative care. You’re not in this alone.
Learn More About Scheduling a COMPASS Consultation
WHAT IS A COMPASS CONSULTATION?
You will connect with our hospice doctors or nurses or a 60-90 minute virtual meeting to discuss many aspects of end-of-life care, including:
- Navigating daily life with terminal illness
- What behaviors might indicate pain, discomfort, anxiety, or distress
- When is the “right time” to euthanize? (Does “THE right time” exist?)
- Quality of Life – what truly makes life worth living for your pet?
- How does a pet show us his or her quality of life?
- How does a pet demonstrate his or her will to live?
- Review of current treatment plan from a different point of view, based on 25 years of end of life care focus. (DVM only)
IN ADDITION, OUR VETERINARY HOSPICE NURSES WILL COVER:
- How to administer medications at home
- Proper recumbency care, exercises to improve joint range of motion, home hygiene
- Assisting pets’ mobility, use of mobility and supportive devices
- Environmental assessments to help reduce stress and minimize potential hazards
- Nutritional consultations for pets with poor appetite or special needs
- Emotional and mental enrichment activities for pets with limited mobility or cognitive dysfunctions, to help ease boredom and depression
- Family grief support, helping children cope with loss, and resources for continued support
ONGOING CARE AFTER YOUR COMPASS CONSULTATION:
After your COMPASS consultation, you’ll have access to our team for ongoing guidance and support as you navigate your pet’s (and your own) changing needs. We also offer 24/7 follow-up COMPASS consults for Dr. Shanan to guide you through crises situations. When the time comes for the most difficult decisions, you will be prepared with the resilience and strength that come from a foundation of trusted, specialized, compassionate guidance and support.